Dave made brats on the grill for the game tonight. After grilling them, he soaked them in a mixture of stadium sauce and beer that he’d reduced to a thick sauce. I obviously can’t have beer because of my gluten intolerance, so I kind of wiped the brat off.
When I was nearly done eating, he was talking about how good his sauce was, and he tried to scoop more sauce onto my gluten free bun.
I said, “I actually can’t have that, because there’s gluten in the beer.”
He said, “I cooked off all the gluten. I boiled it.”
I said, “It doesn’t work that way.”
He continued, “Yeah, I cooked it off.”
I said, “You cooked off the alcohol but gluten doesn’t cook off.”
I think he realized then he was wrong. But, he was now being annoying, so he started to insist that it was such a high temperature it cooked off. I pointed out that he boiled it, but pasta is also boiled in water. And how most items with gluten are baked at a minimum of 350 degrees, our pizza recipe is 450 degrees.
He continued and he was driving me crazy, so I was like, “Amazing! It looks like I can now eat anything as long as I bake it at a higher temperature.”
I reached into the cupboard and started tossing everything into the oven, bread, buns, pasta, cookies and I exclaimed, “I can’t wait to eat all this!”
Kate was cracking up.
The other three were staring at me.
Then Luke said, “Oh, my gosh. Dad broke mom.”
![]() |
| Taking a break 14 miles into our 18 mile bike ride yesterday |


No comments:
Post a Comment